口譯筆譯學生必看:十項學習/準備方法

英文原文來自美國蒙特雷國際研究院的文章《十種準備方法:預備自己好修習口筆譯及本地化課程》10 Ways to Prepare – How to Prepare for Life as a Translation, Interpretation, and Localization Management Student

也很適用進階英文學習者,翻譯給大家參考

1. 廣泛閱讀,特別要以外語閱讀
1. Read extensively, especially in your non-native language(s).

  • 至少持續一年,每天閱讀紐時或華爾街日報等高水準新聞文章。
    Read high quality newspapers (e.g. the New York Times, Wall Street Journal) EVERY DAY for at least a year.
  • 完整閱讀經濟學人等新聞雜誌。
    Read high quality news magazines (e.g. the Economist), cover to cover.
  • 以外語閱讀自己熱愛的主題。
    Read your favorite topics in your non-native language(s).
  • 閱讀好文章好素材,累積通識。
    Read other well-written material that will help broaden your general knowledge.

2. 以各工作語言收看電視新聞、收聽廣播與podcast,獲取時事新知
2. Watch the TV news and listen to radio news and podcasts on current events in all working languages.

  • 別光顧著聽,還要分析新聞內容。
    Don’t just listen to news stories; analyze them.
  • 掌握新聞及議題脈動。
    Keep abreast of current events and issues.
  • 錄下新聞節目及訪談,以便重複收聽。
    Record news programs and interviews so you can listen to them later.

3. (依序)加強經濟、歷史、法律、國際政治以及科學概念和原理的通識
3. Strengthen your general knowledge of economics, history, the law, international politics, and scientific concepts and principles (in that order).

  • 修習大學程度的相關課程,複習高中課本等。
    Take college-level courses, review high school texts, etc.
  • 增進特定領域知識(技術領域為佳,例如電腦)。
    Strengthen your knowledge in a specialized field (preferably in a technical field, such as computers).

4. 搬到外語環境生活
4. Live in a country where your non-native language is spoken.

  • 建議居住至少六個月到一年。
    A stay of at least six months to a year is recommended.
  • 頻繁接觸外語母語人士。
    Live with and/or frequently interact with native speakers of your non-native language.
  • 以外語修習總體經濟學和政治學等知識課程(別只上語言課)。
    Take content-related courses (e.g. macroeconomics, political science) in your non-native language (not just pure language courses).
  • 使用外語工作,且工作應高度要求外語水準。
    Work in a setting that requires high level use of your non-native language.

5. 鍛鍊寫作及研究技巧
5. Fine-tune your writing and research skills.

  • 修習高難度寫作課程(不只是創意寫作,而是新聞或技術性寫作等課程),熟習運用新聞、聯合國詞彙及法律等專業用語。
    Take challenging composition courses (not just creative writing courses, but classes in journalism, technical writing, etc.) so you can “speak” journalese, UNese, legalese, etc.
  • 手抄外語課本及期刊文章。
    Copy (by hand) sections of textbooks and periodicals in your non-native language(s).
  • 筆記記錄陌生或惱人的文法重點,一一征服。
    Make a note of unfamiliar or troublesome grammatical points and work towards mastering them.
  • 練習校對。
    Practice proofreading.

 

6. 加強公眾演說技巧
6. Improve your public speaking skills.

  • 修習精實的演講課並/或加入國際演講會(譯註:台灣資源可見之前寫過的文章)。
    Take rigorous speech courses and/or join Toastmasters (www.toastmasters.org).
  • 練習寫講稿,以及在眾人面前用母語和外語做簡報(請母語人士為你批改外語講稿)。
    Practice writing and making presentations in front of other people in both your native and foreign language(s). (Have native speakers of your non-native language edit your speeches.)

7. 鍛鍊分析技巧
7. Hone your analytical skills.

  • 訓練聆聽演講並口頭重點摘要。
    Practice listening to speeches and orally summarizing the main points.
  • 練習寫新聞摘要。
    Practice writing summaries of news articles.
  • 練習解析困難的文本(例如哲學、法律等)。
    Practice deciphering difficult texts (e.g. philosophy, law, etc.).
  • 練習用易懂的話解釋複雜概念。
    Practice explaining complicated concepts understandably.
  • 指出背景研究的各類資源(例如圖書館﹐網路等)。
    Identify resources for background research (e.g. library, Internet, etc.).

8. 增強電腦技能
8. Become computer savvy.

  • 熟悉現行Windows作業系統的資料查找和檔案管理操作(目前多數翻譯產業軟體不適用蘋果作業系統)。
    Familiarize yourself with navigation and file management under current Windows operating systems (most of the software tools used in the localization industry today are not compatible with the Apple operating system).
  • 理解Windows提供的多語言處理程序,例如針對語言設計的鍵盤形式、度量衡單位的區域設定。
    Develop an understanding of the features Windows offers for multilingual processing, such as language-specific keyboard layouts, regional settings for units of measurement.
  • 學習使用Office系列的進階功能,母語和外語介面都要。
    Learn to use advanced functions of Word, Excel, and other Microsoft Office applications in both your native and non-native languages.
  • 每天使用搜尋工具,成為搜尋引擎與網路搜尋專家。
    Become an expert in search engines and online research by using these tools on a daily basis.

9. 學習照顧自己
9. Learn how to take care of yourself.

吃得好,適量運動,睡眠充足。這些都是好譯者的先決要件。
Eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and get sufficient sleep. These are all habits required of a good translator/interpreter.

10. 準備好終生學習
10. Be prepared for lifelong learning.

有耐心。要將語言能力和分析技能提升到專業譯者的程度並不是幾年就能成就的事。需要大量持續苦練才能在這些充滿挑戰、讓人興奮的領域中嶄露頭角。
Be patient. Bringing your language skills and analytical skills up to the level required of a professional translator or interpreter is not a task that can be accomplished in a few short years. Only with a lot of sustained hard work can anyone truly succeed in these challenging and exciting fields.

發表迴響